Sunday 4 March 2012

Put a pin in it.

There are a lot of very exciting things coming up that have meant I've been neglecting this here blog. I'm deeply sorry. This will change soon.
One week from today I will be performing a set at Poetry Pulpit at Leftbank in Bristol. This is a great/terrifying opportunity to show off what I've been doing with myself for a year and have other people validate it, and, by extension- my existence.
As a result I haven't had much else on my mind and my anxiety was getting the better of me, but then I finally settled on my next big knitting project since the birthday cardigan, and for once, it's something for myself.


My friend sent me this vintage pattern a while ago, and finally starting work on it has turned a lot of my anxiety into excitement.
I am far from the first person to note the therapeutic benefits of knitting, in fact there is a health and well being research group, Stitchlinks (site here), who exist purely to help people with physical and psychological issues through this craft. It was founded by a physiotherapist, not a psychologist, but from an academic standpoint the points they make seem sound, and from a personal perspective I find it helps to see steady work predictably resulting in a finished product that seems bigger than the sum of tiny actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment