Sunday 18 March 2012

Look Mum, all fingers and thumbs. (Bumbling Poetry No.7)


Expressing love for one’s mother is not the most earth-shattering revelation is it? Well sometimes, even if something is obvious, the way in which it is said can hold as much worth as the sentiment.
This, for example, shows you some of the ways my mum cares for me:


Left to right- a note, the book that came with it, my kindle, and the cosy my mum knitted for it.

I wrote this poem a while ago, after we cleared the jungle that came with the house. I have no idea how many of these memories are based on reality, studying developmental psychology, I learnt how misplaced the clarity and resonance of childhood memories can be, however it’s all true for me. 

 
I fell backwards today, calloused fingers
Pushed into damp earth, anchoring stringy
Mint to terracotta, texture recalled
A hot day but a brother, too small to
Rough and tumble. I liked the garden centre
Because it had fish and garish figures
Of cherubs and lions. In my mind’s eye
It was always pansies, bags of cement
And compost. At home, we knelt at elbows
In boys’ jeans, there were no make-up lessons,
You showed instead how to create and tend.
Fidgeting beside calm competence, Free
Vibrant gems from polystyrene cells, Surround
The snap dragons with cheeky fans, yellow
Tongues protruding from every velvet face.
I stayed out for the magic tricks: there was
A nervous plant that fled from touch, I whispered
The same lullabies you sang to sooth me,
Reassured at finding a fear at least
As bad as mine. There were horrors out there
Too, Squealing at a caterpillar set
Upon by ants, you gravely supplied me
An emergency twig. Together, saving
A tiny life from the swarm. You patiently
Tended all wounds; Winded, doing gymnastics
On the trampette, Angry allergies to
Most things bright and beautiful, I loved the
Poor, put-upon rabbit so hard, that she
Furrowed my chest. Facing a new and empty
World behind my house, still with the fear and
Allergies, At least I know to get dirt underneath
My fingernails. Bedding and tucking-in
Precious threads to you. A spell to stop the ebb.


 
Happy mother’s day everyone, just when you thought this blog couldn’t get any more twee.

No comments:

Post a Comment