Friday 22 June 2012

Bumbling Belated Father's Day

What are some of your earliest memories of your father? Bedtime stories are an important feature of mine. My dad is a big sci-fi/fantasy geek, and Terry Pratchett was predominant amongst the more age appropriate writings of Roald Dahl and Beatrix Potter when I was growing up.
In recent years my dad has written a few books of his own, in the vein of what is usually termed 'fantasy realism', basically meaning there is not an implausibly proportioned woman in a chainmail bikini on the cover.
His first book 'The Young Demon Keeper' is available as an ebook and for this weekend only, it's free! The story follows the befuddled Paul, a young man who summons a demon to do his bidding, only to be lumbered with the destructive half-wit Scarth, because all the levels of hell want shot of him.
Scarth is a sweet little thing really, if you ignore all the people he eats when he's confused, or angry, or bored... 
He'd really prefer an ice cream, and a nice song on the radio.
In fact he's such a great character I thought he deserved an action figure:


Argh he's naked!


That's better.
(Yes, I know it's a knitted doll, but it's a present for a man so it's an action figure, ok?)

I adapted this pattern to fit the character- this was my first knitted toy and luckily the demon is supposed to look a bit weird so it doesn't matter that his face is wonky and his ears don't match, he's here from the pain pits of hell.

2 comments:

  1. Be fair, it was the nome trilogy I read you. Oh, and Masquerade. But there were Mr Men books in there too, I'm sure there were. And I don't really read fantasy, apart from Terry Pratchett. Oh, and Neil Gaiman.

    Oh hell, guilty as charged.

    ReplyDelete